Hi CalFresh Challenge Participants!
Happy Friday! Thank you so much for signing up for the 2015 CalFresh Challenge! We’re thrilled to announce that elected officials Senator Ben Hueso and Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez will both be participating in the Challenge, along with Social Service Advisory Board member Carol Lewis and Kathlyn Mead, CEO of the San Diego Foundation!
As you start thinking about next week's challenge, we wanted to share with you:
- Quick video about SNAP/CalFresh facts
- Shopping tips and sample meal plans for the CalFresh Challenge
- Quick reminder to share your pictures and insights with us!
- Invite you to our Fête to Fight Hunger event on September 30th
Shopping Tips and Meal Planning
An important part of the CalFresh Challenge is recognizing the challenging nature of meal planning. For tips and resources, please check out our “Tips” section on our site.
This year, we also have partnered up with an intern with UCSD Center for Community Health to create sample meal plans for the week of the Challenge that meet this year’s food budget of $30.67 per person and we are looking for help testing them out! Please consider using one of the following meal plans and let us know your thoughts!
Reminder to Share Stories!
One of the biggest pieces of the CalFresh Challenge is sharing your experiences with your friends and peers! We are looking for:
- Pictures/short videos of your meals and experiences at the supermarket!
- Submit your stories to us at email@example.com and we will post it on our blog. Please submit any blog entries or pictures by 10am and we will have them on our site by 1pm.
- Entries should include what you ate, the cost of your meal, any challenges you encounter, physical or emotional experiences, and any insights you’re having.
- For examples of our previous blogs, you can check out blog entries here!
- Sharing any of your “aha! Moments” or other surprises with us through our Facebook and Twitter. This year, you can use the #CalFreshChallenge to share your experiences with other participants.
Consider Joining Us at our First Annual Fête to Fight Hunger!
Fête to Fight Hunger will be held on Wednesday September 30th from 5:30-7:30pm at Draft Republic in UTC. Please join us if you can to close out Hunger Action Month, share stories among those that took the CalFresh Challenge, and mingle with fellow anti-hunger advocates while enjoying some amazing food and drinks!
For tickets and information, please visit our event page. For those that are participating in the Peer to Peer fundraiser, if you are able to raise at least $100, you can attend the event for free!
Thank you again for taking the CalFresh Challenge! I look forward to hearing stories about your experience and to take the Challenge alongside all of you!
All the best,