SUMMER MEAL RESOURCES FOR
SITES & SPONSORS
In San Diego County 1 in 5 children don't have enough to eat for an active healthy life. School meals help fill this need. However, when school lets out for the summer many students go without regular nutritious meals. Increasing participation in existing summer meal sites and launching new sites is one of the most effective ways to address child hunger.
There are more than 220 summer meal sites in San Diego County, yet many go underutilized because parents are unaware or unable to access them. The San Diego Hunger Coalition has developed the following materials and resources to help you spread the word and help children in need find free summer meal sites.
RESOURCES & MATERIALS
How to find a summer meal site
Help spread the word about FREE summer meal sites in San Diego County. Share the following information with the families your organizations serves.
TO FIND A FREE SUMMER MEAL SITE NEAR YOU TEXT "FOOD" TO 877-877, CALL 2-1-1, OR DOWNLOAD THE FREE "CA MEALS FOR KIDS" APP.
PARA LOCALIZAR EL SITIO MAS CERCA DE UD., MANDE UN TEXTO AL 877-877 CON LA PALABRA "COMIDA," LLAME AL 2-1-1, O DESCARGA LA APP GRATUITA "CA MEALS FOR KIDS".
Marketing & Communications
These materials were developed using adaptable files created by No Kid Hungry as part of their Summer Meals Outreach Toolkit. Please feel free to use these to help your organization promote summer meals in San Diego County.
FACEBOOK COVER IMAGE
(Download the image)
The San Diego Hunger Coalition has developed the following messages and talking points to help our partners promote the benefit of summer meals and the importance of ending child hunger. Feel free to use these in your organization's communications.
- In San Diego County, one in five children don’t have enough to eat which can affect their growth and development.
- Research shows that hunger makes it difficult for children to concentrate and learn, causing many to fall behind in school.
- Summer meals at places like recreation centers and affordable housing complexes help ensure low-income children have adequate energy for homework and active play – and that they won’t go to bed hungry.
- Schools out, hunger isn’t. Increasing participation at existing summer meals sites and launching new sites is one of the most effective ways to end child hunger.
- Preventing the academic “summer slide” starts with summer meals. Having regular access to nutritious meals when school is out of session helps children retain the knowledge they learned the previous school year.
- Summer is for play! Summer meals give children the energy they need for an active healthy life.
- Hunger doesn’t take a summer vacation when school meals are not available.
- Every child deserves their best chance at success. This begins with three healthy meals a day.